Thursday, May 21, 2009

Glenn Responds to The View Debacle



Related Video 
Glenn ambushed on 'The View'

GLENN: And so anyway, so I was just a little uncomfortable. I get home and I'm just sick as a dog. I'm running a fever. I get home. My wife tucks me in, we talk about the day, I tell my kids a story, I get up and I ride and I say, I just can't, I just can't go in to TV today or radio. I'm just, I'm too sick, but I'll honor the commitment to The View. Ooh, what a mistake that was . What a mistake that was. 

STU: They seemed to be ‑‑ look, they seemed to have a warm reception for you. 

GLENN: Yes, like hell? 

STU: That is, that's a warm place. 

GLENN: That's a very warm place. 

STU: That's a very warm place. They seemed to not have, like, an agenda or anything. They didn't seem to ‑‑ 

GLENN: Oh, I didn't sense an agenda there, did you? 

STU: They seemed to, like, want to let you get your side of the story out. 

GLENN: Yes, yes. 

STU: They seemed to be open to anyone disagreeing. 

GLENN: Liar! No, you know what? You know what, I will tell you this about Whoopi Goldberg. In the end Whoopi Goldberg came up to me and I said, you know, Whoopi, I was actually coming out to compliment you on what you said in the previous break. Because I don't remember what it was, and God forbid I misquote anybody on The View. But it was something along the lines of, you know, the Republicans and the Democrats, we just have to start telling the truth. We just all have to, you know, we have to put our differences aside. And I said, I was actually coming out to compliment you to say, you know, I couldn't believe that. That's great. That's going to ‑‑ and she said ‑‑ now see, again I don't know if I said that first or if she said what she said first. 

STU: Uh‑oh. 

GLENN: I don't want to mix up ‑‑ 

STU: Liar! 

GLENN: ‑‑ who said something first. But she said, you know, I would just ‑‑ this is in the past. I would just appreciate it if you would call me, you know, in advance before you would say something about me. And I said, okay, sure. And she said because, you know, we could disagree with things but we can be friendly and we can be friends. And she was actually very, she was actually very nice afterwards. After my head was in the basket, she was very nice.

STU: This is after on national television she called you a lying sack of dog mess. 

GLENN: Yes. 

STU: You would say this is the ‑‑ 

GLENN: Yes. 

STU: This is afterwards. 

GLENN: Uh‑huh, uh‑huh. 

STU: There was that moment on television. 

GLENN: She was very upset. I'm not sure ‑‑ 

STU: Then you're saying off air she was kind enough to say something like that.


More Proof? 
Email records show Glenn wondering who would be on the train in the 'reserved seats'...

GLENN: Call me. Which I still don't have her number. So I don't know how to call her, but I'm sure people know how to call her people. 

STU: Yes. In all honesty, you look at someone like a Whoopi Goldberg, she probably ‑‑ maybe she, you know, feels like, you know, you had a ‑‑ you met her on the train, it was nice and then she thinks you're trashing her for whatever reason. 

GLENN: I think that's what it was. I think with Whoopi Goldberg, I think that it was that she thought maybe we had a nice moment. 

STU: Yeah. 

GLENN: I mean, maybe. 

STU: And then, you know, she sees this clip of you. She gets essentially like out of nowhere someone sends her a clip and you're talking about her. 

GLENN: Right. 

STU: I don't know what she thought exactly. 

GLENN: I don't know what Whoopi Goldberg believes and I wasn't afforded the time to ask what exactly I was lying about or reply or defend myself or anything. But so I don't know exactly what her deal is. I told the TV staff, call her, invite her on the show. I'd love to talk to her on the show. 

STU: But she seemed like a normal person afterwards, at least.

GLENN: Yes, yes. 

STU: Cool. That's good. 

GLENN: Yes. 

STU: And you are not going to ruin Elisabeth for me, are you? Because you know I love her. 

GLENN: Elisabeth, I don't know what the deal was with Elisabeth. She was very nice but she wasn't ‑‑ she wasn't helpful but she wasn't hurting at all. 

STU: She wasn't allowed to talk. 

GLENN: I think she was just ‑‑ I notice, I watched it last night and I noticed that she was ‑‑ it really was, it was the two ends, it was Whoopi and Barbara Walters. 

STU: I saw Elisabeth a couple of times trying to say stuff. 

DAN: What's she going to do? It was a he said/she said situation that she wasn't in. 

GLENN: I'm not saying that she wasn't helpful intentionally. She was just ‑‑ but what is she going to do? She's not going to stop that train wreck. It was an absolute ‑‑ it was a setup. It was an ambush. I walked off the set and the producer ‑‑ and I'll tell you later, but the producer was getting an earful from Adam who I've never seen Adam ever upset. And my wife was giving an earful to somebody else as well. My wife wasn't even on the set. She was giving an earful to somebody else because Adam and my wife and Adam's wife were all there. And I walked off the ‑‑ because the green room is actually on ‑‑ this is enormous stage and so right behind the set of The View is the makeup room but it's not a separate room. It's, they're fake walls. And then right behind that is another fake living room kind of set and that is the green room. And everybody sits in the green room. And apparently Adam said the temperature dropped ‑‑ you know, he said it's like in the cartoons where you can just hear everything freeze and just, the ice go (crackling noises). He said, it got very cold and very, very quiet in the green room and at one point when I was walking out, Adam was at that walkout curtain. You know where the curtain is? He said, "I almost came out there myself." And I believed him. I've never seen him like that. I've never been treated more poorly than I was treated ever. And I've been treated poorly before. I'm used to going into places and being treated poorly. 

STU: Yes, it's a hostile environment most times when you go on shows. 

GLENN: Yes, yes. I mean, I have done hostile shows before. I've worked in hostile environments before. I have never been treated in a more unprofessional, 4‑year‑old sort of way than I was treated at The View. And I tried to be ‑‑ I tried to be very nice. I tried to be a gentleman. I don't believe in going on into somebody's house and peeing all over their furniture. I've had other people do that on my set. You don't do that. 

STU: There was a point there I was ‑‑ I should have just whipped it out. 

GLENN: I considered it. I considered it. I'm glad I didn't because I think ‑‑ I mean, well, I don't know. I don't have any intention of making enemies, but I'm not going to also hold my tongue. I will say what I believe. This is what I do. 

You know, I mean, Barbara Walters, "So you call yourself an investigative journalist." No. Don't you ever do your own homework, Barbara? Don't you check your facts? No, I don't call myself an investigative journalist. I'm nothing of the kind. 

STU: In fact, in five million interviews you can read that exact quote, that you are not a journalist. 

GLENN: Right. And I'm not a journalist as a badge of honor quite frankly. 

STU: Even more after that interview. 

GLENN: I am a ‑‑ exactly right. I'm more of what Whoopi Goldberg does. 

STU: Right. 

GLENN: I'm a storyteller. I'm somebody who just kind of reflects on what happens in life. I tell you my point of view on what's going on. 

STU: Right. And she tried to get ‑‑ like it's typical media self‑congratulations as she says to you, "Oh, you are not a journalist?" 

GLENN: Don't use a voice on Barbara Walters. 

STU: You're not a journalist? 

GLENN: See, this isn't going to go well. 

STU: And you say no. And she says, well, then you don't check any facts? No. See, people who aren't journalists care about the facts, too. In fact, as I've learned over the years, sometimes a lot more than the actual journalists. 

GLENN: I wonder if the journalists like Barbara Walters called my office to check on my facts because I have four witnesses. No, no. No, she didn't. She didn't call to get my side of the story before she put me on national television and called me a liar. 

STU: That's so... that's so ‑‑ 

GLENN: But it's not ‑‑ see, this isn't ‑‑ but you know what? It's okay for her not to check her facts but to the apparently for me. And I'm sorry, and I apologize. And Whoopi, I told her at the end, she said, you know, if you have a ‑‑ if something like this happens again ‑‑ and I'm thinking to myself, I don't think this is going to happen again. "But if something like this happens again," she said, "You just call me. Just call me." And I wanted to ‑‑ 

STU: That's a rational response. 

GLENN: It is. And I wanted to say, "Okay, I don't have your number." And I didn't know ‑‑ I mean, it doesn't occur to me. These people who are in this ‑‑ I was thinking about it last night as, you know, Mary said, "My gosh, they just tore into..." Mary's my daughter, my 20‑year‑old. And I walked out of the room and I'm like, I've just been torn to shreds by a person that was in the movie "Ghost." You know what I mean? 

STU: Jumping Jack Flash was much better. 

DAN: Sister Act, too. 

GLENN: No, but what I'm saying is these guys are ‑‑ they are in those circles. I don't consider myself in those circles. I don't call Whoopi Goldberg up. You don't even consider that. 

STU: Just to follow Whoopi's logic here for a moment and again, you know, it's nice that she said something good to you off the air afterwards, after the interview but the ‑‑ 

GLENN: See, I think she was genuine. I could be wrong but I think she was genuine. 

STU: I'm legitimately serious because at least you can have disagreements on the air about something, you can scream at each other. You get off the air and you are actually civil, I think that's respectable. But to follow her logic, she could have called you before putting you on the air and accusing you of a liar. You know, she says ‑‑ 

GLENN: Right, exactly right. 

STU: She says call me next time. How about you call me? I'm the schlub here. You're the person who everybody knows. 

GLENN: How about Barbara Walters? Barbara Walters. I don't even know if they were accusing me of lying about who walked up to whom first. This is how stupid and ridiculous this is. 

STU: Oh, my god. 

GLENN: I mean, this is national television time. The dollar is falling through the ground. You know, we're talking about Gitmo and torture and everything else. I would have rather talked about American Idol who, by the way, the producer asked me prior to who's going to win, and I got it right. But we could have, we could have talked about that. Instead we talk about a stupid train on who approached who first. 

STU: I mean, and in all honesty, I mean, we can talk about how ridiculous it was the way they treated you, but there has never been a more pointless seven minutes of television. 

GLENN: No. It was ridiculous. 

STU: I'm talking you can include every Japanese game show and you'd still not come up with seven minutes of more pointless television. 

GLENN: And you don't even speak Japanese, yeah. 

STU: No. I still learn more. You are talking seven minutes about whether you properly characterized ‑‑ 

GLENN: Can I tell you something? 

STU: ‑‑ the order of introductions on a train trip. 

GLENN: Here's the thing. And you know, I don't really even ‑‑ I don't care because Barbara Walters made it very clear that I was not to make fun of her. 

STU: What did she say? Did she say that? 

GLENN: Stop. 

STU: But I wanted to ‑‑ 

GLENN: Stop. So I'm not making fun ‑‑ so I'm not going to make fun of her. Look, she is a woman who accomplished an awful lot in her life, in the many, many, many storied years of her life. She has accomplished an awful lot. She broke ground for women way, way, way, way back. 

STU: Yep, especially the wife of a particular senator she ‑‑ 

GLENN: So I'm not going to make fun of her. I am going to say this. I did have the feeling she was Norma Desmond. Now, if you don't know who Norma Desmond is, just remember this one line: I'm ready for my close‑up, Mr. DeMille. It was almost ‑‑ because it was creepy. It was creepy. She was extraordinarily hostile. When she asked me ‑‑ and we'll play this back. She was doing a stare‑down. Like she was like 8 years old. She was doing a stare‑down with me. And I thought to myself, what are you doing. And I felt, I actually ‑‑ in the end I feel bad because I feel like she ‑‑ maybe is she sensing that she's ‑‑ you know, I felt like Jerry Seinfeld: Do you even know who I am? You know what I mean? You know that moment with Larry King where you're like, hmmm, wow, are you ‑‑ hello?


Stu's 2 minute investigation

More Proof? 
Email records show Glenn wondering who would be on the train in the 'reserved seats'...

GLENN: I think it was, I think it was that I said ‑‑ but I wasn't really even sure. I think it was that I said that I walked up to Barbara Walters. Because I remember I listened back ‑‑ what was it, three days ago, two days ago? I listened back to it on the air on this program. And I said, no, no, that's not exactly true; I didn't walk up to her. Remember? 

STU: Yeah, you were going into the investigation. 

GLENN: Oh, you have an investigation? 

STU: There's a full‑fledged investigation on this. 

GLENN: Oh, hang on just a second. We have an investigation. Hold on, Steve, this is good stuff. Go ahead. 

STU: Yes, this is another in a series of Stu's two‑minute investigations where I do approximately two minutes of work to prove an entire story false. 

GLENN: This is great because this is the two minutes that apparently the press won't ever do on stories. 

STU: Yes. 

GLENN: There was a big ‑‑ what was the big Internet scam that happened? Oh, it was on the tea parties. It was on the tea parties and the 9/12er that was like, hey, we should burn all the books. And nobody spent two minutes. So Stu, what he does is he caps himself: I'm only going to do two minutes of work on this. What did you find in a two‑minute investigation? 

STU: Well, first of all I had to answer the question the caller just asked which is what were they accusing you of lying about. 

GLENN: Yes. 

STU: Two things that I came up with. Number one, that their seats on Amtrak were not reserved. Now, they were saying they were not reserved but the Amtrak employee was saying that they were.

GLENN: Yes. 

STU: Okay? Now, I am doubting that Whoopi Goldberg or Barbara Walters called 1‑800‑Amtrak or in Barbara Walters' case picked up a phone and waited for an operator to ask where they want to call and say Amtrak, please, that whole thing. But if they did not ‑‑ 

GLENN: "Hey, ring up the train." 

STU: Crank the phone. 

GLENN: Call the choo‑choo. 

STU: Right. So, you know, now I don't know how ‑‑ again we're going to go into this in a second, how exactly you knew before the stop that these were going to be reserved. But we'll get into that in a moment. 

GLENN: Yes. 

STU: But let's go into the second lie because this is the more easy one to prove. 

GLENN: This is the one, I think this is the one that they were going after. 

STU: You said Barbara called you over and it was the other way around. This was the accusation of that, okay? 

GLENN: Yes. That she said that, "Glenn Beck, come hither" or whatever. And then I walked over to her. Which is not the way it happened. 

STU: Right. Now, if that were true, what difference would it make to the story, first of all? 

GLENN: No difference. 

STU: No difference. Has no relevance whatsoever. Was it some of the worst, most pointless moments on television? 

GLENN: Yes, it was. 

STU: Yes, it was. But the consensus is that you did say something wrong here. Even you conceded this point multiple times, on The View and on Fox last night. You conceded that you said something wrong. 

GLENN: And I also said it on the air before, I believe.

AS SEEN ON TV 
The Insider Webcam, an exclusive feature available only to Glenn Beck Insiders. Learn more...

STU: Right. 

GLENN: Yeah. 

STU: So here we go. Upon further investigation ‑‑ this is again the two minutes. 

GLENN: This is two minutes. 

STU: Where I actually listened to what you said. 

GLENN: Okay. 

STU: We've come up with an incredible truth. This is Cut 4, Dan. You didn't say that at all. Never did you say anything like Barbara came over to me. Listen for it and listen very closely. When you hear this: 

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP) 

GLENN: Now, as the train took off and Barbara said, Glenn Beck. And I said, yes, Mrs. Walters, how are you? I walked up, so you know, I walked up to Ms. ‑‑ because she was looking at me. And I don't know if she was just looking at me and thinking about somebody else or, you know, just ‑‑ you know how sometimes you'll just be staring at people and you just don't even know you're staring at them? 

STU: Right. 

GLENN: Okay, stop. 

(END AUDIO CLIP) 

STU: So this is the retelling of the story. 

GLENN: Which is before The View. 

STU: So you clarify it. But if you listen to the audio, Dan, if we could play the stuff they played on The View, then you can clarify. You clarified something you didn't need to clarify. At no point did you actually say that Barbara came up to you first. Listen to the audio. 

(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP) 

GLENN: And so there were four seats at this table and it was empty. So we get in and we sit down at the table and the lady says, no, no, no, no, you can't take those. Why not? They're reserve. They're reserved? I didn't ‑‑ you can't reserve ‑‑ no, no, these are reserved. 

Now, I'm thinking Joe "Amtrak" Biden is getting onto the train because you cannot reserve a seat on Amtrak. They don't do it. Well, all of a sudden the police enter. "Clear the path." It's Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg, oh, and Steve Kroft. How did they reserve seats on Amtrak when you can't reserve seats on Amtrak? Now, as the train took off and Barbara said, "Glenn Beck." 

(END AUDIO CLIP) 

STU: Okay, that's all you need to hear, but that's the whole point. So the train takes off and Barbara says something to you. 

GLENN: And she didn't ‑‑ okay. So here's the way it happened. She didn't say, "Glenn Beck." I said, "Ms. Walters, Glenn Beck." And she said, "Yes, you're going to be on The View coming up." That's what she said. 

STU: Why didn't you say what the Amtrak conductor said during that time? 

GLENN: Because he may have said, "Tickets?" He may have said that. 

STU: Now, is it because "Tickets" isn't relevant at all to the conversation? 

GLENN: Yes. 

STU: So what you are saying is you may have jumped in to a relevant point in the conversation. At no point did you say Barbara came over to me. You just said the train left and Barbara said this. 

GLENN: Right. 

STU: Not, and the worst part is in the very odd case that it may have implied that Barbara came up to you, for no good reason later on the radio, you clarified it, as we played earlier, and you said, oh, no, Barbara actually didn't come up to me; I came up to her. 

GLENN: I believe that Whoopi Goldberg does not think that those seats were reserved. I don't think she, I don't think she calls to have them reserved. I just, this is my speculation. We never got to this part. We never got to ‑‑ we never got to any of that. Any reasonable people would have sat around and said, "So wait a minute, they told you what?" And we would have laughed about it. As my wife said last night, "Women." And I said, what does that mean? And she said, do you think, Glenn, if you would have gotten on television, it would have been a bunch of guys, you would have said, what the hell was up with that? I didn't do that. It wasn't reserved. Really? Wasn't reserved? And you wouldn't have had a conversation about it. She said this is what women do. And I said, no, I just think this is what people with an agenda do. But so we never really had an actual conversation on this. I believe that Whoopi also doesn't believe that she had any kind of special treatment, that they didn't reserve those seats. 

STU: That was the point of the whole monologue. 

GLENN: Right. Somebody reserved those seats because we were not allowed to sit in them. They had them all covered with papers and we couldn't sit in them. When we got onto the train, they walked in. Steve Kroft did not sit with them. The police walked them up to those seats. Barbara said, "You want to sit here?" They sat there. But that's where the police were standing, standing right there. That's when the person who told us they were reserved took all of those papers up and moved them off. I mean, so now, does Barbara even know? This goes back to my point that Barbara has been living in such an elitist sort of world for so long and, you know, she's, you know ‑‑ and I think that she has now gotten to the point to where she doesn't even know. She doesn't even know. "I think that's the way I always, I just happened to find those seats there." Somebody called to reserve those seats and if it wasn't Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg that were supposed to sit in those seats, who was it? Who was the celebrity that was supposed to ‑‑ now, I haven't done my journalistic , you know ‑‑ because I'm not a journalist. I didn't call Amtrak to find out who it was, what celebrity didn't sit in those seats. But the lady who said they were saved, for someone in New York and you would see when we got into New York who it was and you'd be all excited and then she looked at us and she kind of like went, huh? You know, I just thought it was ‑‑ it's at least who I believe the Amtrak lady thought was sitting there. 

STU: Right. So as we look at this, we learned that when you say something that they said was wrong, they called you a liar, okay? Now, when you ‑‑ when they came out and said, "Oh, well, you kept saying Barbara came over here; that's a lie." By their own definition, they're lying when they say that. So you didn't ‑‑ we looked at the audio. You have not said that. We've listened to it all. So you didn't say the supposed lie they accused you of. They didn't do the fact checking of actually listening to the audio of what you said. Then they didn't do the fact checking of finding out if you had further clarified it on another radio show, which you had. 

GLENN: Aren't they journalists? 

STU: Why? Is it because no one sent Whoopi a link to that particular audio clip? That's the bottom line is no one happens ‑‑ 

GLENN: See, again I'll take ‑‑ I'll stand up for Whoopi Goldberg. 

STU: No, no, Glenn ‑‑ 

GLENN: Whoopi Goldberg is not a journalist. Whoopi Goldberg does exactly what I do. They talk about the thing. They talk about the things in life. Barbara Walters, however ‑‑ 

STU: Oh, exactly. 

GLENN: Is a different story. 

STU: So I don't know what they're doing. They're either ignoring or incompetently look looking for your, as it turns out, unnecessary clarification. So there are a couple of questions to ask Ms. Barbara Walters. 

STU: Yes. 

GLENN: And I think she said it best, when she said this! 

(AUDIO CLIP PLAYS) 

STU: I don't know, Barbara. Do we check facts, Barbara? 

GLENN: I don't know what kind of tree I'm supposed to be when I'm on your show. Am I a tree that doesn't check facts because that's not what trees do? But you instead, you check your facts but yet you don't check your facts? Wow. Good job, investigative reporter Barbara Walters.

Related Articles:

No comments: